Twitter is a social networking and microblogging service that allows you answer the question, ‘What’s happening?’ by sending short text messages 140 characters in length, called ‘tweets’, to your friends, or ‘followers.’ It’s a great way to keep in touch with your friends and broadcast information about where you are and what you’re up to. Businesses use Twitter to broadcast their latest news and blog posts and interact with their customers. Twitter is increasingly being used for news reporting as it is afster and more immediate that any other medium for reaching large audiences
The short format of the tweet is a defining characteristic of the service, allowing informal collaboration and quick information sharing that provides relief from rising email and IM fatigue. Twittering is also a less gated method of communication: you can share information with people that you wouldn’t normally exchange email or IM messages with, opening up your circle of contacts to an ever-growing community of like-minded people
How do I join?
1. Go to the Twitter signup page by clicking this link: https://twitter.com/signup
2. Type in your name, username, password and email address. A username can’t have spaces, so many people just use their real name without the spaces. This also helps friends identify them in searches later. You could also use the first part of your email address before the @ symbol. You can also change your username later. Click ‘Create My Account’
3. You will be asked if you want to follow anyone (‘Follow Freely’). You can skip this by clicking on the Skip This Step link just below the suggestions
4. You will be asked if follow categories (‘Add Your Favorites’ - sorry it’s US spelling!). Feel free to skip this step just like you did above!
5. The next step is to see if your friends are on Twitter. This will look through the address in your email if you use Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail or another popular Internet email service. Again, skip this step if you want
6. Congratulations! You are finished and are ready to become a Twitterer. The next page that asks ‘What’s happening?’ is your main Twitter page. Type in something in the text box and click update to send your first ‘tweet’ - which is a Twitter message
For more on what Twitter’s all about, see:
Twitter : new User Quick Start Guide
- Is your body in acid alkaline balance?
- 'Must see' movie : The Awakening
- Album of the week : Revelation Road - Shelby Lynne
- NMTBP's Best ever Christmas songs
- What is Twitter?
- It's never too late for...... Skydiving
- Album of the week : Last Night On Earth - Noah and the Whale
- How to stop those unwanted marketing calls
- Book of the week : The Affair - Lee Child
- A Moroccan red from Alain Graillot
- David Beckham’s a good sport
- Taiwan: Celebrate Lantern Festival
- An Often Overlooked Key to Success: Part One
- Weekly Q&A: South Africa Holiday with Kids
- Look Good, Feel Great : 6 - an introduction to muscle training
- Magnificent 7 websites for……Investors and Investing
- FactCheck: Is loneliness worse than smoking?
- Album of the week : Given To The WIld - The Maccabees
- Superfoods on the cheap - Bananas