Licensed to Ill was the debut album by the Beastie Boys, released in 1986
This is a really shocking cover, not because of 9/11 (which, obviously, happened 15 years after the album was released), but because private jets and fatal plane crashes are the heads and tails of rock ‘n’ roll’s fateful coin. Think Buddy Holly, Otis Redding, Lynyrd Skynyrd, John Denver, Ricky Nelson and Stevie Ray Vaughan to name but a few
Producer Rick Rubin said the idea came from reading about Led Zeppelin’s luxurious private jet, The Starship (which had a long bar, video screens, plush chairs, bedrooms with fake fireplaces, showers and even an organ). “The Beastie Boys were just a bunch of little guys and I wanted us to have a Beastie Boys’ jet. I wanted to embrace and somehow distinguish, in a sarcastic way, the larger-than-life rock ‘n’ roll lifestyle, the excesses and the destruction.”
Steve Byram, an art director at CBS, came up with the concept. he contacted an old school friend called David Gamboli, who had taken teh unlikely name of World B. Omes, who specialised in collage. Omes assembled the Beastie Boys jet from photographic elements, then drew over and hand-colored it with water soluble crayons.
- The plane’s identification number on the tail – 3MTA3 – reads “Eat Me” if you hold the cover up to a mirror
- According to Rick Rubin, if you look at the cover sideways, it looks like a penis with pubic hair
- American Airlines wrote to record company Def Jam complaining that they felt the plane looked uncannily like one of theirs. They took no further action
Perhaps the last word should belong to Steve Byram: “I think it’s really cool, and it did realise my intention to reflect the screwed-up persona of the band.”
- Unbreak your heart : 2 - What causes heart disease?
- Can you really get fit by exercising for 3 minutes a week?
- Unbreak your heart : 5 - Saturated fat
- Album of the week : Given To The WIld - The Maccabees
- Is your body in acid alkaline balance?
- Shiatsu - an ancient technique for the 21st century
- Surprising Superfoods - Avocados
- Classic Album covers : Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake - Small Faces
- Make old bones - look after your young(er) ones
- How to stop those unwanted marketing calls
- Announcing: Cooking Classes! Starting Thursday with Bacon
- Running: Finding My Happy Pace in a Healthy Balance
- Freshen up for £7 with The Body Shop’s Satsuma Body Mist
- Album of the week : Blunderbuss - Jack White
- Look Good, Feel Great : Part 20 - Keep on running
- 10 Must have money saving apps for the iPad
- Keep Moving - Breast Cancer and Colon Cancer Survivors Live Longer with Exercise
- Charge Spoon Saddle
- Classic Album covers : The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan
- FactCheck: The cost of the UK’s U-turn on aircraft carriers